Wednesday, March 16, 2016

How to make orange scones

So my latest food that I can't live without is scones. I don't know why I have suddenly been obsessed with them! I am lucky we have a Panera Bread that just opened five minutes from us and they have the BEST scones! After several weeks of making almost daily trips there, I decided it was time to figure out how make them myself. My wallet could no longer afford daily trips to Panera!

As always, first thing I do is go to the old recipe books that were my mom and grandmom's. I never remember having scones as a kid but I knew in the 100 + cookbooks and recipes I have there just had to be one... and there was! The only thing was it called for some things that are not used anymore so I used the substitutes. This recipe was fairly easy and SOOOO GOOD!!!

Makes 8 scones
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon orange extract
1/4 teaspoon orange peel
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
8 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
1 egg



1. Heat oven to 400. Combine the sugar and orange peel and extract. Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in butter and combine until mixture has formed a coarse meal.

2. In another bowl, combine the sour cream/Greek yogurt and the egg.(I like to use Greek Yogurt) Using a fork, stir mixture into the flour mixture until dough clumps form. Using your hand, form dough into a ball.

3. Place on a floured surface and form into a circle about 7" wide. Cut into triangles. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake 17 minutes.





Glaze
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed OJ
or 1 teaspoon orange extract
1 Tablespoon milk or more if needed



1. Combine all ingredients. When scones have cooled, spoon glaze 
over each scone. 


These scones are delicious! Even your picky eaters will love them!
ENJOY!!!

1 comment: